Danbury Bennigan’s Location Torn Down
The Bennigan's Restaurant at 106 Federal Road in Danbury, CT closed many years ago but the empty building has remained and become an eyesore to locals.
I wrote about this and other vacant building like it in May of 2020. The now infamous article was titled: "Danbury Zombie Properties Are an Eerie Sight." This feature made the building a controversial talking point in the city.
Danbury Bennigan's Building Gets Torn Down
We reached out to Danbury Mayor Joe Cavo to find out more and the Mayor had this to say:
"7/11 purchased the property and they are going to have a gas station there as well. I'm so elated to see that the area will be useful again and no longer an eyesore."
Below is the video of the building coming down
People have been paying close attention to this building for years. Locals have been critical of local leadership for allowing the building to rot and become a hot spot for curious teenagers.
So, it was no surprise that the arrival of a crane had people asking questions. This appeared on Reddit just the other day.
Writing this article made me hungry and I needed a reminder of what kind of food used to be offered here. I guess Bennigan's is best known for its burgers and these are some of the meaty meals they serve at existing locations:
- The Classic Burger - Our classic Bennigan’s burger. Choose from American, Swiss, Cheddar, Pepper Jack or Bleu cheese crumbles.
- The Big Irish - Two mouth-watering half-pound beef burgers piled high, double-decker style with double the toppings! Choose from any of our Prime burgers!
- BBQ Bacon Cheddar Burger - Cheddar cheese, BBQ sauce, Applewood smoked bacon, and mustard.
- Spicy Chipotle Burger - Crispy fried onions, Pepper Jack cheese, and freshly made chipotle garlic mayo.
- Guinness Glazed Bacon Burger - GUINNESS Stout glaze, Applewood smoked bacon, Cheddar cheese, and crispy fried onions.
- The B.O.M.B. - Slathered with bourbon-infused bacon jam over melted American cheese and topped with crispy fried haystack onions.
- The New St. Brigid Burger - Layered with our housemade Pub cheese, Applewood smoked bacon, grilled onions and mushrooms on a toasted Brioche Bun.
- The New Irishman Whiskey Glazed Burger - Brushed with our housemade Irish whiskey glaze and layered with ale sautéed onions, Cheddar cheese and Applewood smoked bacon on a toasted Brioche bun brushed with our velvety made-from-scratch Irish whiskey cream sauce.
Menu looks good and they appear to be adding "new" items. Maybe I'll have to visit a Bennigan's near me, which according to a recent Google search means a trip to Saddle Brook, NJ. OK, changed my mind, there are plenty of places to get a great burger around here, I'll just hang and shop local.
Below you can see the original photos I shared from 2020 and what the Federal Road Bennigan's had become in recent years, from all angles.
Danbury's Zombie Properties Are an Eerie Sight
Vacant Brookfield Properties Give Me the Creeps