What to Do If You Lose Power in Your Home
With another major storm forecasted for our area, more power outages are likely. Here’s what to do if you lose power at your home.
Friday’s Nor’easter rocked Greater Danbury, and left many in the Hudson Valley without power for days. As of this writing, many still don’t have power.
According to the governor’s office, 85% of all New Yorkers who lost power lived in the Hudson Valley.
With another storm in the forecast, more outages are possible. The governor’s office released the following safety tips if you lose power.
If You Lose Power
- Call your utility provider to notify them of the outage and listen to local broadcasts for official information. For a list of utilities, visit the New York State Department of
- Public Service Check to see if your neighbors have power. Check on people with access or functional needs.
- Use only flashlights for emergency lighting - candles pose the risk of fire.
- Keep refrigerators and freezer doors closed - most food requiring refrigeration can be kept safely in a closed refrigerator for several hours. An unopened refrigerator will keep food cold for approximately four hours. A full freezer will keep the temperature for about 48 hours.
- Do not use a charcoal grill indoors and do not use a gas stove for heat - they could give off harmful levels of carbon monoxide.
- In cold weather, stay warm by dressing in layers and minimizing time spent outdoors. Be aware of cold stress symptoms (i.e., hypothermia) and seek proper medical attention if symptoms appear.
After a Power Outage
- • Throw away any food that has been exposed to temperatures above 40°F (4°C) for two or more hours, or that has an unusual odor, color or texture. "When in doubt, throw it out!"
- If food in the freezer is colder than 40° F and has ice crystals on it, it can be re-frozen.
- If you are concerned about medications having spoiled, contact your doctor.
- Restock your emergency kit with fresh batteries, canned foods and other supplies.
Read More Local Stories:
New Milford’s Tom Dobson Performs ‘American Man’ Live:
"Mama Morning" Explains How to Listen to KICKS 105.5 on Alexa: