CT Governor Lamont Announces Re-Opening Plan For Spring Sports
It's been quite an up and down year for sports in Connecticut, but now with his new re-opening plan, Connecticut's Governor says 'play ball'.
For many high school and collegiate student athletes, sports has taken a backseat to the coronavirus and season and tournaments have been canceled since last March. Now that we're starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel, and new reopening guidelines have been put in place, there's good news for sports fans.
According to Governor Ned Lamont who made this announcement late last week, all sports in Connecticut will be allowed to take the field for practice and to play games starting on March 19.
Each sport will still have to answer and follow the safety protocol from the state's Department of Health, but the word is now out and youth, rec leagues, high school and college sports will be able to operate normally. This new plan also includes all CIAC state tournaments as well.
Here's what a CIAC spokesperson told gametimect.com about the new guidelines:
The CIAC is encouraged by Governor Lamont’s announcement today about opening up additional sports opportunities toward the end of March. As has been the practice throughout the pandemic, the CIAC will now review the latest information with its Sports Medicine Advisory Committee and Board of Control.
Even with the new guidance, there are still certain stipulations for different sports. For example, sports that engage in frequent, face-to-face contact, the Department of Public Health has recommended social distancing on sidelines, cohort practices and mask wearing in competition and, in certain cases, rule changes to limit exposure.
Here's a complete rundown of all the new re-opening guidelines from the Connecticut Department of Public Health.