On July 15, 1926, the Connecticut Light and Power Company's Board of Directors approved a plan to create a lake to produce electric power. As a result, the residents and farm owners in the Rocky River Valley, which included the towns of Sherman, New Milford, Brookfield, Danbury, and New Fairfield, learned that they would have to vacate their land.

Schools and churches had to be moved or destroyed, and workers were paid $1 per body to remove gravestones and bodies for reburial and 5,520 acres of the River Valley had to be cleared before the water flowed.

A construction camp was built to house 400 men who were hired to take on the massive building of the power plant and the dam that would eventually become Candlewood lake.

The camp turned into a temporary village that included four bunkhouses, a bathhouse, a store, a bank, a bakery, and a barbershop. It took 17 months and 920 men to complete the tremendous job at the cost of $5 million. Finally, on February 25, 1928, the pumps began the flow of water into the Rocky River Valley, and by September 28, 1928, Candlewood Lake became a reality.

Let's take a look through the beauties of Candlewood Lake, from 93 years ago all the way to now.

Candlewood Lake - Then and Now

Candlewood Lakes' Island House

Candlewood Lake Fall Foliage Tour